Thursday 15 March 2012

Singapore Zoo


I don’t usually like zoos, I don’t like to see animals caged.  My own personal opinion is that they are best left in their natural environment.  I don’t think that we have the right to capture animals, cage them and then make money from people looking at them.  However, I do recognise that many animals need rescuing and caring for and that there are many endangered species in the world.  I also recognise there are some good zoos out there that are caring for and protecting these animals and which also have fantastic breeding programmes.

So I was delighted with my recent visit to Singapore Zoo.  As I walked through the gates, the first animals I saw were these delightful little monkeys.  They were uncaged and able to roam as they wished.  Larger animals had so much space that it was pot luck on whether you saw them or not.  Of course the public was protected from some of the more dangerous animals but this was done with good use of fantastic landscaping, deep ditches, water, etc.  Orang Utangs were leaping through the trees and, if they had a mind to, appeared to be able to walk out whenever they wanted.


The zoo was an absolute delight, and my highlight came when I found this poster:



Just as we, in Reiki, try to live our lives by the five Usui principles, so the animals are afforded five wonderful principles too:

Freedom from hunger and thirst
Freedom from thermal and physical discomfort
Freedom from pain
Freedom to express normal behaviour
Freedom from fear and distress

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do leave a message - I would love to hear from you.