Thursday 22 May 2014

Mindfulness Migraine

Advanced Migraine Relief 
Yesterday a migraine got me again. Just as I got into full working mode the flashing lights started. Nothing for it other than to just stop and close my eyes until my vision returned and hope that it didn't develop much beyond that. I know that I am extremely lucky as my migraine symptoms are mild compared to some sufferers. But nevertheless, I do get frustrated that I have to down tools and ride it out.

As I teach mindfulness and meditation to others I thought it was about time I started to practice what I preach, so yesterday I decided to try mindfulness. I accepted my migraine, gave it my full attention and without judgement.

As I sat back and closed my eyes, I focussed on the lights - like isobars on a weather map, different colours all shimmering and vibrating around my right side. I watched them for quite a while and then I focussed on the physical feelings in my body. Not much happening there, feeling all pretty normal - whatever normal is. As the lights started to drift further and further to the side of my peripheral vision, I thought it was all beginning to pass. But no, the next stage kicked in which, in all fairness, doesn't happen that often but I really don't like it. I seem to lose a section of my brain/mind and I cannot function normally. I think that just as parts of my vision shuts down, so does my brain. I can't think clearly and can't seem to remember the words I need to use - I often wonder if that's what having a stroke must feel like.

OK, this was a little trickier because I had nothing to focus on, just my inability to articulate both in speech and thought. But that's exactly what I did focus on, without trying to force anything and without judgement. Slowly and surely my thought processes returned to normal.

On the whole I would say mindfulness definitely helped me to cope with the migraine much better, with all it's varying stages. It's not a cure but it does help you to realise that when life throws a few punches there are tools and techniques that can help you get through them much easier and without any added stress and anxiety.

Will I use mindfulness for the next migraine? You bet I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do leave a message - I would love to hear from you.